Monday, April 5, 2010

Back To School

While researching the field of ICT4D, setting up my web sites and helping some small projects I decided also to go back to school. I had a 2 years university degree from Italy (on software for telecommunication) and found a way to integrate those credits towards an online Bachelor of Science. With the Empire State College I was able to craft my degree and my plan of studies towards an ICT4D degree. The title of the degree earned in 2009 is "Information and Communication Technologies for Sustainable Development" (although a late discussion still didn't allow me to change it to "Information and Communication Technologies for Sustainable International Development").
As I explain in one of my paper (not finished yet) I believe that definitions are important and the addition of "International" to my degree title meant to highlight the real focus of the sustainable development that interest me most.
In any case, even in the few mandatory general education courses I was able to touch on ICT4D aspects or most often, as I discovered along the way, topics of "development economics". A couple of the most relevant papers written during my studies are ICT4SustainableDevelopment and ICT for Sustainable International Development.
The four years of undergraduate school have hone my research and studying skills, forced me to write some papers but also kept me busy and prevented me to focus more on the ICT4D subject.
During these years all my personal motivations and ethical/professional reasons that stimulate me to work for more and better ICT for Development have not diminished.
My intent to research, write, discuss and involve people on the ICT4D vision is still alive. I will keep posting on this blog most ideas and accomplishments and continue to work to bring a positive impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment